Friday, March 17, 2006

Some recent updates

Some updates for the past month. I've been touring Hong Kong and Shenzhen on a company incentive trip in February. The Monday following the trip, I walked into my boss's office and delicately presented him with a standard four-by-nine envelope containing my nicely typed, tersely phrased letter of resignation.

After recollecting himself from a brief heart event, my boss listened to my well rehearsed basis for departure and accepted my resignation without much fuss. And then the hunt for a replacement began.

Maybe I was the only person in town who did not fully realize the popularity of the position I'm leaving. My job was advertised in the local papers the weekend following my resignation. Factoring in the speed at which news travels in this industry, the office was instantly swarmed with applications through fax and mail the following weeks, non-stop.

And when you thought you've witnessed the scariest in corporate recruitment, the company offered my colleagues a bounty of 500 ringgits simply for successfully recommending a candidate for the position! That's not all. Rather than aiming for the generous cash reward, half of my colleagues decided to apply for my position instead...




A brand new page

Although I have yet to prove myself worthy of my decision to move to Australia and start things from scratch come May, the most important people in my life think it a cavalier move to leave a well-paying job for uncertainties abroad. What sane yuppie would even ponder such a senseless endeavor?

No looking back, I told myself. I did not regret resigning from a job everyone's raving about. I just have to move to Australia to find out if I can make it away from home. All the rest would soon be history no one would even care to remember.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Done Tin Soldier!! You have make the move to stay away from your comfort zone and go with your dream! Am Proud of you! its very hard for a lot of people to actually make the first move....Am wishing you all the best with your new life in Australia!! Have faith and things would do well...

Tin Soldier said...

Thanks a lot, Pui! Won't let you down.

Fedelia said...

Hi,

Wow, I logged on to Graceville only today and indeed this is a piece of news!

As I am in Kuching, perhaps we can meet and chat before you leave for Australia. Good of you to venture and pursue your dreams. All the best, my friend!

Tin Soldier said...

Hey Lia-lia, it'd be wonderful to catch up after so long. Hope to hear from you soon.

《我們青春的三言兩語》

他跟她是隔壁班 每當他出現在她的面前 她都愛靜觀他的一舉一動 然後幻想兩個人在一起的畫面 中學時期過了 當然兩個人也沒在一起 是他因為害怕而錯過了 二十年後 他們重遇在他的工作室 成了要好的朋友 她問他有沒有喜歡的人 他愣住了...